Monday, October 02, 2006

The training

I found a 12 week plan at Hal Higdon's page. It is an off-season program to improve speed and be in shape. It says it is also to learn to race, I will just skip that :P. Here's the link in case you want to check it out.
It will make me increase from 4 to 5 days a week running and includes tempo runs, hills, fartlek. It doesn't include long runs, that is sad, but for me sounds like less stress and more chance to accomplishment. It recommends to save the long runs for the marathon training. Will see if I can avoid the temptation of doing long runs as soon as I feel stronger!

Week 1 Day 1: 3 m + Strength
My heart rate continues unusually high. The morning was in fact finally fresher so I can stop saying it is the weather who makes my HR higher... What is it then?
Completed the 3 mile run. It wasn't very comfortable as I had to stop a couple times to breath. Great.... My legs feel very strong and there is no other problem than breathing.
The bad part of it was that when I was at the weight room, I felt suddenly terribly dizzy. I looked at my HR monitor and it was on 55. As I recovered, -about 3 minutes later- I tried again to continue training and it happened again. Of course I recovered but during the day I've been with a headache. Hope it doesn't go farther.

Thanks for asking about Luna, but I am not sure yet if she will be a runner. For the moment I can tell you she is a very good dog for the family, very intelligent and tender. Just what my girls dreamt.

3 Comments:

Blogger Phil said...

Hilda ... good to have you back. I was out of town over the weekend and missed your initial return. I was getting worried that you'd dropped off the face of the planet.

I read through your "Spring Training" schedule. It looks like a good plan. I particularly like the fact that he's built a few races into the program. You need these to stay focused and gage improvement.

Best of luck with your new program. Also .. thanks for the nice comments on my blog. I appreciate the input.

1:52 AM  
Blogger Thomas said...

The off-season program is definitely a good idea. It doesn't contain any long runs because of all the speed and hill work. Adding long runs to that might be too much.

Increased heart rate could mean that you're still not entirely recovered from the marathon, but that would surprise me, because it has been quite a while since then. Keep an eye on it, but I suspect that it will get lower all by itself over the next few weeks.

6:15 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

I like the look of that training program - lots of variety & not too many long, tiring runs. A new program is always exciting!

7:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home