Monday, August 21, 2006

How to know

After reading turnip's post my mind has being spinning about why am I doing the marathon for the last days... Even more when people around me say so many strange thing about running it, like for example that is inhuman to run for 5 hours, that there is no sense on doing something like it. Some others even say running 5 hours is not that bad :) a Dominican friend told me she thought it was going to last for days! How to make them understand that this challenge despite being so hard just to even think about it, will certainly take me in to a great high...

I've been thinking about when and why I started my long runs last September. It was a combination of discovering information about running and feeling how it is to achieve some points. Discovered myself enjoying long runs a lot. I even thought when is the point to decide to run or not a marathon... Should it be before knowing how it is to run long or just as taking it as a challenge and do it because you want to know that you as many, can do it... That could take us to the point where you define runners who are more competitive from the ones who enjoy, don't you think? Still I am just about to know how it feels to make a real long run and what I expect from it is the great sensation it gives you to make your first long run.

This week I am focused on fueling and hydrating properly, I am feeling strong and running well. The weather there is very cold for me, but wish it can help in some way, will see... There the temps are around 10 in the morning, there is no humidity. Those are my advanteges. The odds are the altitud... not that bad! 2-1

These days my mind is being very positive, knowing that I can do it and feeling strong. Planning mental strategies and understanding why I want to do it, I am just convinced.

The last details for the trip are ready. I will be in Mexico city on Friday morning to pick up my bib# and from there I will be taking it as easy as possible there in my contry... trying to avoid all that delicious food and stopping myself to go around... I will have the chance for that and more on Sunday!!

The sad part on my marathon is that my husband Luis is staying in the Dominican. He has to be at work, can't travel again for this dates... I will miss him so much, you just can't imagine...
Your good wishes and nice words will reach my even from as far as Australia, this my first marathon will be such a great experience and a lot of that I have to thank you guys!!!

17 Comments:

Blogger miners said...

wish all of us could come over and watch you finish your first big one Hilda! Congratulations on all your training, and how well you've managed those little injuries. You'll do great on the day :)

12:00 AM  
Blogger CJ said...

I send you lots of good wishes and good luck (though you don't need it because you have put in the preparation). Enjoy the experience - the first marathon is a really special experience. You can do it! I'll be thinking of you on the day and look forward to hearing your report.

3:07 AM  
Blogger Jack said...

Good luck with your first big race, enjoy the journey, don't get stressed out, just do it for you.

5:09 AM  
Blogger Ewen said...

I'm excited for you Hilda. You'll run well. Have positive thoughts and savour every moment. Soon you'll be a marathoner. Good luck!

6:17 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

I am sooooo excited for you Hilda. Good luck - but CJ is right, you won't need it. Just relax & enjoy it - after all, you only get to run your first marathon once!

Take care of yourself & I'll be sending you good thoughts :-)

7:17 AM  
Blogger Wobbly man said...

Have fun Hilda! I can't wait to read your race report! You have done all the training - this will be the reward!

9:55 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

yes..running for 5 hrs is inhuman..i am inhuman ;)

Enjoy the race....and enjoy the great food after the run :D

11:16 AM  
Blogger Beanie said...

oh my god - it's come up so soon. best of luck! you're going to have a wonderful day no matter what. you'll remember it forever. can't wait to read your race report!

12:03 PM  
Blogger Thomas said...

One thing I've learned is not to take any notice of anything non-runners say about running. Marathons are not inhuman, and finishing one will give you a fantastic sense of achievment that will stay with you forever - and that's definitely worth every bit of pain along the way.

Good Luck!

10:31 AM  
Blogger R2B said...

Your head and your heart are moving in the right direction Hilda.
We will all be thinking of you and excited as the time arrives.

Go out there and make us proud!

If you want to run a little,run a mile.If you want to live a lot,run a marathon.

4:55 PM  
Blogger Lulu said...

Go Hilda! You will have the time of your life I'm sure. We'll be cheering for you from down under and I can't wait to read all about your triumph.

12:02 AM  
Blogger D said...

Good luck Hilda. Remember to keep those legs fresh by NOT doing a lot of sight seeing and shopping before the marathon. Relax.

1:25 PM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

I find that the need to run a marathon is simple. I just want to tell the world that I can run one.

Pity your other half couldn't be there. I hope it all goes well.

7:30 PM  
Blogger strewth said...

Best of luck and lots of good wishes for a wonderful first marathon. It will be an amazing experience for you and the sense of achievement will always be with you. I am so looking forward to reading all about it. How very exciting. I would love to be there to cheer you on! I will be sending positive vibes your way. Enjoy the day - you have certainly done the training.

9:27 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You've trained hard Hilda and I hope that you had a wonderful race. I can't wait to hear how it went.

7:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck, Hilda.

Just enjoy it and don't listen to the unsupportive comments.

You know that you're doing a great job and that's all what matters.

And yes, remember that you were one of the HEALTHY BLOGGERs THIS WEEK! because of all your effort.

So, again, good luck and have fun!

1:26 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

C'mon Hilda - don't keep us in suspense for too much longer!!!!

4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home