Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Update

Yes you guess it, this is not going right yet, but I didn't want to complain about it, I'm still alive!
As
Speedygeoff commented not only because of running fast you can get injured but for running longer, maybe I'm not friend of 18, who knows...

This week I am supposed to be running 20 miles as a long run, not sure yet if I should even attempt to do it. My left knee flexors are hurting. Maybe I should start calling it by its proper and scary name ITB. Sigh.
Yesterday I went for a 10 miles run and I was doing fine. I even made some speed laps and hills, I was on the treadmill. I step off to go to the bathroom around the 6.5 mile and when I came back it started. I was stretching, walking, trying. A couple times in that order. Stopped at 9.5 miles.

Instead of the recovery run of today, I headed the gym for a serious lower body work out. I wanted to give to my knee and extra day off. I hope I can be ready on Friday for this long run. Included specially exercises for hamstring and calves.
I had this idea after I read RW article "How we turned a slacker into a finisher". It came just in the right time. I liked so much this article and its recommendations. It gave me hope.

Next Sunday I'm driving to Santo Domingo to pick up my mother. We are very happy that she is coming. She will stay here with us until all we together go to Mexico city for the marathon.
If it happens.
It will be the first time she is close to me while I go to run. This is very weird for her, she is always recommending me not to force myself "that badly". People that she knows from her work that have run half marathons say it is very hard. She is has told me several times how I need a real trainer to teach me how...
It should be the natural reaction to unknown, in fact is funny.
I mean I LOVE she is coming -don't get me wrong, in fact it is the best part in this hoildays for me and my family-, but she won't help a lot with motivation. At least she will be only for the taper.

Now that I say only for the taper, in fact I didn't find the training that bad, how to avoid saying this if I decreased my weight training? The only real bad part in fact is being injured... running is always good!

14 Comments:

Blogger Rae said...

Running is always good!! Enjoy your visit with your mom, I can't believe your M is so soon!

I know you are going to do great.

10:42 PM  
Blogger Liv said...

Just take care of those legs, girl. And I'm soooo laughing about you "getting hope" from that article - you are ANYTHING but a slacker!

1:56 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Take care of yourself - especially now - Hilda. I'm sending good, anti-ITB thoughts to you now!

7:51 AM  
Blogger CJ said...

Its not long to go so take care - no need to do anythig silly now. If there is pain ease up and take it easy. It must be great to have your mum there even if she does keep telling you how hard it will be in the marathon!

8:03 AM  
Blogger Thomas said...

Now, I have to disagree. Running long doesn't get you injured. It might aggravate an already existing injury, but what gives you an injury is running too hard.

But if you persevere, your body will adapt, and intensity that would have injured you earlier on will be easily managable.

8:50 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I agree with Thomas. Take it easy and I hope everything works out. You can do it!

Have a great visit with your mom.

10:12 AM  
Blogger D said...

How nice that your mama will be there with you! I think most people that don't run have a hard time understanding the whole marathon concept.

11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Hilda,

It's me Nadine from Healthifica.com.

As you know, we awarded you HEALTHY BLOGGER THIS WEEK last two weeks.

We'd like to give you the "HEALTHY BLOGGER THIS WEEK" logo. Would you please let me know your email address so that I can send it right away to you?

Simply send me an email to: nadine@healthifica.com

Have a great weekend and keep running!

11:26 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

ha, my parents feel the same way :).

My goal for all my training is to stay injure free.

Even if i have to cut back on a finishing a training session or bail one, i would. The less i am injure, the more i time i can go out and HAVE FUN :D

4:34 PM  
Blogger R2B said...

Oh no not ITB!
Rest
Ice
Compression
and Exercise?

i will fill out the tagged questions soon.
R2B

6:52 AM  
Blogger Beanie said...

my sypathies are with you. i suffered ITBS a while ago, and it wasn't any fun. be careful. making it worse will only take you longer to recover from

8:40 PM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

How frustrating that your Marathon may be post-poned. Hopefully the protest will free up the city and allow the event to go ahead.

9:21 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

I hope your injury clears up soon Hilda. Speedygeoff has some good advice.

Don't worry about your mother - just ignore her when it comes to running.

I hope they don't cancel the marathon - not long to go now!

5:33 AM  
Blogger strewth said...

Not long now and you've done all the hard work so listen to your body and if you need to rest, do it! Perhaps run a slightly shorter distance this weekend to avoid further damage. Take care - you will do well! Enjoy the time with your mum.

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home