Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Those 26.2 and me

It is different to see it now from this side of the wall, now I know :)

I had no internet connection at my mother's house, then went to an internet on Monday wrote all my report and it was deleted when I tried to post it... At the moment I know the high has ended but still I will try to write my report as emotive as possible :)

On Wednesday we arrived to Panama to stay a night, my mother wanted to see it and what could I say... There I did walk more than I'd wish.

Friday in Mexico city after picking up my bib number and watching the new route started feeling some nervous. On the new route they included at the beginning five bridges and at the end you had to cross three of them again.
I got scared of my ITB aggravating by crossing them. Friday night I woke up at 1 am thinking of crossing those bridges. Checked my HR in the middle of the night to confirm it was much more higher than predicted, above 25% instead of 10%, resting. Altitude was scaring me too. I didn't talk to my family about my fears, (only to Luis by phone) instead I started telling them not to expect too much of me, I think my mother even was scared by the event.

Saturday night leaved all the gear ready. It included my camel pack. I decided to use it despite knowing the weather was pretty cold for me, thinking of drinking from it more comfortable than from what they will give on the race. But, what did I know about cold weather?

Sunday 5 am. Walk up and leave home at 5.45. I used pants and a t-shirt on my shorts as it was very cold for me 53F= 11C. It took us long to find a place to park the car, it was so crowded!! My mother looked nervous to go alone, so I stayed with them until all we walk to the entrance at Hermanos Rodriguez Sports City where the race was going to start. It was still dark, sun rises at 7.20!! We said goodbye and as I was kissing them I thought, when I find you again, I'd have run those 42.19 kms. I crossed the corridors where all the runners were getting together, which is behind the launching slips. There were other women around and it was almost 7, time when women were about to start. (Men started 7.15, don't ask me why, I think men hated to find us there hindering the road latter) People started saying women had already started, yes, I was starting late for my first marathon despite my watch said I still was 15 minutes ahead. All women around started running to the starting line, fast. At least I was ready, so started too. Garmin was on...
Around me there were some women too, so I wasn't alone there. My hands were freezing, it was a foggy morning.
In front of me there was a woman running in a strange way, I approach to her and say hello, start talking to her to find out she had polio but didn't stop her for running 15 marathons already, she also said she has many injuries. Knowing her at the beginning was very inspiring of course.
I left her behind as I felt I was loosing to much energy talking. I was sweating.
My heart rate continue being extremely high, around 165 but as I was feeling my legs strong just tried to keep going as slow as possible to avoid being depleted from the beginning.
When I find the bridges I climb them walking with no regret. As I get down I had nothing to report!
Kept going and around mile 5 I was looking for my father who said he was going to be around there. That gave me another thing to think about. I couldn't find him anyway. I made a stop to the bathroom in a restaurant. I was starting feeling the urgency of going but there were not bathrooms for the race... This will give me serious technical problems later.
Mile 10 I was not enjoying the run, never thought of dropping down, but it was hard to keep going. Certainly the high HR was taking its toll. Suddenly around mile 14 a thought came to my mind. For some reason the last weeks what I found out on movies and magazines was that running a marathon was a painful experience. I started thinking about pain and what it really means. Thought about different sorts of pain, from the people I know. My husband's experience came to my mind. All the time he has fallen or suffer at work and has never complain or give up. This thing, the marathon was nothing compared to real pain. Tears wanted to come to my eyes, some of them made it. Immediately from I don't know where I had a photographer taking pictures of me crying, poor guy. Certainly he thought I was crying because I was suffering about running or something! As the same time it happens I realize that crying is a huge effort. I can feel how from my neck the tears have to be squeezed! Control myself and from that moment I am enjoying the run. It is incredible how after programming my mind I could continue with out even thinking about it. Then I should say my marathon really started about that. Now that I remember me, I was there just programmed to keep going to the end. Even stopped watching my monitor or Garmin. Happy.
Nobody told me it is so nice keep going after mile 18 and it is even easier to do it.
I can see the lovely smiles of me daughters watching me, I can just do it!
On the edge of the street people were cheering so nicely. Some even were offering lemon slices, cookies, coke, candies. I accepted some of them besides the water and gatorade stations. Now I know my stomach supports anything after real long runs. But it will be even better if an available bathroom would be close.
I have to walk but I feel I need to recover doing it and there is no pain anywhere.
Around mile 20 I pay attention looking for the wall an just find a little bench that easily jump and just keep going.
An angel was waiting for me at mile 21. My sister was there to join me for this last effort. It is very nice to see her.
Technical problems are starting giving me real problems, I need to use the toilet. REALLY. Seems like all what I ate this last hours want to get out. My hands and feet are swollen, it is horrible.
My sister tells me about places where to go but they look too far and don't want to leave the road. I am so focused!
Finally we find the right place. Now we are over 39km mark. After leaving the toilet I feel much better! I can run again, slowly but that is not new and over the end is great.
I pass people around me. All they, most men, are walking and turn their faces to look at me. I am so close and feeling great! On my face there is a great smile. I cross the line and this is it, the marathon is done and I am feeling so happy.

Oh, yeah, about time! I ended in 5.50. An eternity I know but still happy as the experience was something awesome.
To see some pictures go here. My number is 1010.

Now, Wednesday night I am in Cancun, my recovery is going great. Monday and Tuesday my legs were stiff. Now they feel just great. I will keep drinking a lot and recovering. Thanks for your thoughts, they helped me a lot, before and during the marathon.

28 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

I'm smiling too now!!

Yah! Congrats Hilda on finishing your first (of what I'm sure will be many) marathons with a big smile on your face. I'm so happy for you.

Enjoy your recovery & bask in the glory for a while longer ;-)

1:24 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

My spanish is very rusty but I found the photos - eventually!!

Great photos - you look very strong!

2:01 AM  
Blogger miners said...

what a lovely race report Hilda! I'm so happy for you after all your hard work to get yourself there.

Take it easy for a few weeks (months!) and feel proud :)

2:11 AM  
Blogger Simlin said...

Great report Hilda, hope I can get to that 42.2km mark someday soon and with a big smile on my face too!
Now Cancun is a place I would like to recover in when I run a marathon

2:49 AM  
Blogger Simlin said...

You do have a HUGE smile on your face crossing the finish line! and you look fresher than all those around you!

2:53 AM  
Blogger Lulu said...

Well done Hilda, that is a fantastic achievement and it must have been so good to have all your family around you, apart from Luis.

All that work has paid off and you have conquered the marathon. Enjoy your recovery in Cancun.

5:12 AM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

It took awhile to translate the web page but I finally figured it out.

Well done on such a 'marathon' effort!

6:44 AM  
Blogger Don Juan said...

Congratulations Hilda. Great achievement and great race report.
Enjoy the recovery.

7:16 AM  
Blogger CJ said...

Oh wow! Well done, that was great! And now you've run a marathon! Haven't looked at th ephotos yet but hope to very soon. You're a champion!

11:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Congratulations Hilda! It is too bad they did not have baƱos on the race course and my Spanish is also very rusty so I am still searching for the fotos.

11:59 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Hilda: Marathoner.

That was a great story about your first marathon Hilda. What an emotional experience for you.
Congratulations!

I found the photos... Libre Femenil
Nombre - Hilda
Numero - 1010
:)

6:59 AM  
Blogger Thomas said...

Congratulations Hilda, you have successfully finished a marathon. I did check the results on the web page; they didn't post them until Wednesday, and then I wasn't 100% sure if it was you. But it was the right number, so yes, it was you.

Well done. You are now a marathon runner.

9:37 AM  
Blogger D said...

Congratulations MARATHON WOMAN HILDA! Great report. Awesome smile!!

11:07 AM  
Blogger Wobbly man said...

Wow, what a great race report! I felt lie I was next to you feeling your technical problems! Congrats on becoming a marathoner Hilda - it's been great to enjoy the journey with you. Thanks for sharing something very special with us!

6:16 AM  
Blogger Phil said...

Congrats on a good finish Hilda as well as a great race report. I haven't fished around for the photos yet, but I can always break out my Spanish/English dictionary if necessary. You've accomplished something that many of us have yet to try. I wish you a quick recovery and look forward to reading about your training for the next marathon.

11:33 PM  
Blogger strewth said...

Huge congratulations Hilda. You are now a marathoner - wow, I bet you feel fantastic. It's such an amazing feeling - well done!!

5:22 AM  
Blogger Jack said...

Congratulations on your finish, that's a fantastic achievment that you can be really proud of!

7:53 AM  
Blogger Rae said...

Awesome job!!! You will never lose that high of your first marathon!! Congratulations!!!!!!!

8:30 AM  
Blogger Beanie said...

congratulations marathon finisher =)

great race report!

10:44 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

Congrats, Hilda, you are a marathoner!!! What a great replay of your race, about the pain, and the joy, and the tears and smile! So great, you did awesome!!

2:55 PM  
Blogger Liv said...

Woo hoo! Yay Hilda, you rocked that marathon (and geez, woman, I don't know how you held it in so long... I would have been crying for a bathroom long before you!)

Here's to many more!

4:39 AM  
Blogger Black Knight said...

You look strong. Congrats. No problem for the time: you did it. You are a marathoner, the final time is only a little detail. Feel proud, YOU DID IT!

6:40 AM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Are you okay Hilda? We haven't heard from you for a while.

6:46 AM  
Blogger Wobbly man said...

*crickets chirping* come back soon Hilda!

8:30 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

Hilda, where are yooooooouuuuuu???!!!!

1:46 AM  
Blogger R2B said...

Hilda the Marathoner!
Thats awesome Hilda!
You did it!
And at 5+ hours you did it much tougher than the winners so you have extra reason to be satisfied, a HUGE effort!

Congratulations.

5:17 PM  
Blogger D said...

Hilda - been checking your blog periodically and you've been missing in action...we miss you.

11:00 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Where are you Hilda? Hope everything is OK & that you've recovered well.

Looking at these comments, it seems you have a a HUGE aussie fan base! I think you should think about doing your next marathon in Sydney!

6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home