Monday, August 07, 2006

After four days of rest

I am much better!

I wasn't completely inactive, trained legs in the gym. It's been a while since my legs doesn't hurt, this time they did! That was on Wednesday and Friday.
Sunday morning started 2.5 miles outdoors. It was hard with the damped air, but the leg was surprisingly good. Inserted legs workout and climbed up to the treadmill for the resting 2.5. Still I think I should not use to much weight and increase reps.

I was running! I was feeling so happy with this!

I am thinking the problem last Tuesday was increasing speed and hills. I will not attempt to train that at this stage. I used my soft shoes and I was like over clouds.
Now, I've lost my last and longest run of the schedule but I still have 3 weeks to go. I will try to do a long run this Friday again. Normally the schedule calls for a 12 miles run but that will mean that my longes run was 5 weeks before the marathon. I will still have two weeks for the taper. I'll try 16 to 18... What is your opinion please? The marathon is on august 27, three weeks from now.
Took today off... I was very sleepy this morning after the 7 hours drive from yesterday.
My mother is here! We are very happy :-)

10 Comments:

Blogger Jack said...

I think the decision on whether to do another long run or not should be based on your marathon goal and how fast your recovery normally is. If you are looking to set a speed record for your marathon then another long run could slow you down if you are a slow recovery-type. In many cases a two week recovery is sufficient, particularily for experienced runners. If you decide to do a long run, carbo-load the day before, hydrate well, keep the pace down, plus hydrate, carb-up and stretch shortly after the long run. All these will help speed up recovery.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Black Knight said...

I think that if you don't feel good it's better to run a shorter distance. You will not have any problem to finish the marathon even if you change your training plan.

12:32 PM  
Blogger Wobbly man said...

OMG - just 19 days to go! How quickly has this come around! Smart move taking a few days off from running to freshen up the legs and recover fully.

5:02 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

I know nothing about marathon training so I can't help you there. But good on you for listening to your body & taking it easy for a few days. 19 days to go - how exciting!

5:24 PM  
Blogger Lulu said...

How nice to have your mother there with you. I hope your itb behaves and you get to your marathon in good shape. That's probably more important than trying to do a really long run at this stage.

12:02 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I agree that it depends on how long it takes for you to recover. I think maybe sticking with the 12 would be a better option at this point. Good luck.

1:36 AM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

I think start you taper now. Don't stop running just reduce your miles. You know you can do the distance and you will be a star.

5:48 AM  
Blogger Thomas said...

General wisdom is that tapering should last for 3 weeks, and if you follow that, it means you shouldn't extend your runs beyond the planned schedule. As everyone else said, it depends on how quickly you recover from your long runs. But keep in mind that by now the work is done, and if you're behind in training, you should not try and vatch up.

11:41 AM  
Blogger D said...

Hilda: Go with a 12 miler but it is probably not smart to go longer than that at this point. IT is too close to the marathon. This is your first marathon so it is always best to do a little less rather than too much. Don't worry. You have put in a lot of miles on those legs and you'll be fine. Glad that your visit with your mama is going well!

2:25 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

as D said.

My last long run before the marathon was a 21 km (13.125 miler).

Better to taper now and rest up. Isn't it exciting..marathon :)

4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home