Monday, July 24, 2006

And there's even more

For the first time I did not complete my run. Instead of 9 they were just 5.7, the reason, well this is what happened, should be here for my records. I hate hate hate to complain, but I want to review and follow every step I make along this narrow gap.
The laborious breathing was the main thing happening during the first miles. I continued anyway with the thinking of improving latter on. Ended the first 3.4 miles ok and started brief speed work. It was only 200m laps. I made them comfortably, but since the first lap a ITB pain appeared. It was not that bad certainly, but this time the usual niggle on the knee move there. Ended with 5 laps and continued to run. The pain was there as the hard breathing. Felt defeated disappointed, frightened, sad. I was questioning myself what I knew that was happened, punishing me for being so stupid. Changing shoes at this stage and ignoring the latest niggles...
I started walking I was going under. When I saw this guy watching up to the trees. Up there, there were about ten parrots making different sounds, life is not that bad I thought. Stopped and made some photos. Turn off my headphones and listened to the sounds of the jungle, lovely. That calmed me down. Thought of going for the rest of the run slowly, but first going home to change shoes again... On the way I made a stop in the bathroom, and just decided that for today I was done.
Now I am thinking that I am not defeated, there is much more to come and I am taking it.
I'll take off tomorrow of running and will go to the gym to do some weights.
On Thursday I will be fine, I'll stick to my usual pair of shoes and that will be it. No more speed work just focused on the marathon. Ending is the goal and I am reaching it.
The thing that worries my now is about this breathing path. I don't think the weight is doing this, I was this same weight before and I wasn't doing it, anyway I'm watching what I eat... And don't forget to start easy the next time...
Wish my moho comes back, I am not enjoying this.

11 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

I have to say that I'm not enjoying my running at the moment. Having said that, I think you go through rough patches & your mojo comes & goes. Take care of yourself & listen to your body. I know you are training for the marathon but never lose sight of the fact that we do this because we love it.

5:48 PM  
Blogger Lulu said...

You do get ups and downs with running and perhaps your body is still recovering from the long run you did.

Take a day or so and do some water running if you can. In the pool or sea is good. I don't know if you can get a flotation belt somewhere? It's a good way to burn some calories without putting your body under any stress.

9:24 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

It is all part of a process Hilda, you just have to expect that some days wont be so good... but if it wasn't for the bad days the good days wouldn't seem as good ;-)

10:32 PM  
Blogger strewth said...

Chin up Hilda - there are days like this. Tomorrow will be better and we're all cheering you on! But do listen to your body and if you need a rest day or two take it and you will come back even stronger.

8:30 AM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

You will be right Hilda. Just remember your high spirits while you where running in England.

I didn't have a fuel plan for my 30km run but I wish I had. I just sipped on water at the aid stations every 2km and had one Gel at the 20km mark. Strange I felt very hungry in the last 5kms.

8:42 AM  
Blogger D said...

Hilda: chalk it up as a bad day or a bad week if necessary and let it go. It is all a part of the process...good and bad days. Just remind yourself of all of the strong runs you've been doing as part of training for this marathon!

10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We all hit rough patches in running, especially if we are in the middle of or just coming off of a hard period of training (i.e.-monster month of marathon training) You might consider other factors like weather and air pollution (do they have smog where you are?) Just take it easy and don't worry, the mojo will return!

10:51 AM  
Blogger Wobbly man said...

I put these days down to "when my body is adapting". We all have "off" days. I'm sure your next one will be better.

4:42 PM  
Blogger R2B said...

Hilda i hope this quote helps a little...

People can't understand why a man runs. They don't see any sport in it. Argue it lacks the sight and thrill of body contact. Yet, the conflict is there, more raw and challenging than any man versus man competition. For in running it is man against himself, the cruelest of opponents. The other runners are not the real enemies. His adversay lies within him, in his ability, with brain and heart to master himself and his emotions.

R2B

6:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about the bad day Hilda. Take it in stride and tomorrow will be better.

12:10 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Ohhh, Hilda how exciting. I would love to meet you when I'm over in your region next year!

I don't have the full itinerary yet but will let you know when I do.

How exciting!

7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home