Thursday, July 27, 2006

As there's still life, there is hope

R2B sent me this quote, enjoy:

People can't understand why a man runs. They don't see any sport in it. Argue it lacks the sight and thrill of body contact. Yet, the conflict is there, more raw and challenging than any man versus man competition. For in running it is man against himself, the cruelest of opponents. The other runners are not the real enemies. His adversary lies within him, in his ability, with brain and heart to master himself and his emotions.

Thanks R2B :) This raised my hope enormously this morning while struggling to do the miles. Completed 7. I was supposed to go for more, but didn't wanted to offer the sacrifice of doing the rest under the sun. Not today. It was sunny then, now it is cloudy, grrrrr.
The main idea as going, was that I knew somehow that going slowly I could manage to go the distance. The good news is that the ITB pain did not appear at all, only the normal stiffness on the knee flexors. The bad part again was the breath. I had to catch my breath continuously, despite going slowly. I say it should be this combination of hot and humid air. This latest runs under this conditions are killing me slowly. Well, I hope that is what is happening. Unfortunately the treadmill at the gym are broken so I can't give a try on them to my breath, grrrr, it had to be at this same time! Still I'll give another try tomorrow, the weather conditions say it will be raining which means at least no sun today and tomorrow.
So, as I said I trust the weather conditions are doing this. What else could be? Yesterday afternoon I get into a bathroom where there is no air conditioned and started feeling dizzy just because of breathing normal air!! At least there is no humidity in Mexico city where the marathon will be. In fact it has been very fresh lately, well as usually is during summer. I will just ignore the rest of the facts :P
Thanks to all of you for all the support, believe me it works!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Lulu said...

That's a great quote Hilda. I'm sure the humidity is having a bit impact on your breathing.

You might not have the humidity to deal with in Mexico but you'll have the other problem of the altitude which might have a similar effect so it's probably good to have to train in these conditions.

9:05 PM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

In a sense I am both looking forward too and dreading summer returning here. Looking forward the the great weather and later days but I am dreading the heat.

7:36 AM  
Blogger Thomas said...

I've never actually met anyone who didn't regard running as a sport. Some people don't see the point in running 5k or 10k, but everyone acknowledges the achievement of completing a marathon.

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home