Sunday, July 23, 2006

In review...

What does writing this reports are for? Why is blogger so helpful? Well it definitely helps with motivation but at this point I am somehow lost between that and the main reason to write it, record and be able to analyze what I am doing, in a word, to improve.
I was wondering about my first 18 miles run last January and decided to read about it. I wanted to know how I felt those days. I remembered that the last miles were in a very slow motion... It was a surprise to read how good it was, in fact it was marvelous! Tiredness or complaining wasn't the main subjects!! In fact that was an speedy workout. My pace was always under 11 which is AMAZING for me now? What is going on?
Well and that is just to start. Take a look to my weight and well -no surprise- and finally realize about being 142 at that stage and now 150. Ok, this is going backwards then.

I have to mention and take on count more details:

- The weather at the end of September is fresher, in fact those runs started around 8 but I think that it was still too hot!
- Those days I had niggles all around my body, I think as a result of running strong every workout.
- After that 18 miles run in January I had the ITB injury which lead me to go to the doctor and finally found out about the spur.

- Now,the reason to run always slowly is also that I learn that training should be divided in to hard and easy days, half-half. Running long meant hard, then that left me with two easy days and one free to do speed training. (Which I haven't as my records say since about 6 weeks ago, great!)
-About the weight gain, my weight session have decreased enormously since the marathon training started. Those happy days with 142 pounds came along with the kick boxing sessions and a heavier weight program of about 3 hours a week.

Should I say that speed is not my best friend? As a beginner I shouldn't be doing speed sessions but I am someone who needs it desperately. (And still don't do them, preferring to go longer than faster, to avoid leaving my comfort zone and injuries)
Is this the time to go and do a greater effort? Should I concentrate on just ending the training and just put all together and as a magic craft it will happen?
Maybe as my mother says I need a real trainer.

All that motivated my run today, I wanted to see how fast I could go. I wanted to know if I am still capable of running under 11 min/mile. (!!!)
I AM. In fact it was all the time closer to 10 and sometimes around 9. Sigh.
This thinking are about the marathon time of course. I have to, I want to do it under 5 hours. I haven't lost the main focused on finishing, but now I am wondering how much should I effort now and then. Have I done enough effort? What and when do the effort should appear?

The weather and conditions there will hopefully make a difference as there the mornings are pretty fresh, anyway ending running at noon sounds hot anywhere...

Well more than enough today. Tomorrow it will be another day another chance to improve!
I will continue and pay more attention on performance, pace and RPE.
Tomorrow 10 miles and speed work.

5 Comments:

Blogger speedygeoff said...

Speed for distance running is very simple really. If you are a few kilos (/pounds) overweight, shedding the excess weight brings back the speed-for-distance-runs. And what is the best way of shedding the weight? Running longer distances not-too-fast!

It's ironic - slow running, more of it, produces faster times.

As far as injuries are concerned, though, beware that more running can produce more injuries, even more than faster running does.

But hey, all good things involve some risk, don't they?

Best wishes with your running. keep doing what you enjoy most!

8:34 PM  
Blogger strewth said...

Great post and you WILL run that marathon in under 5 hours - lots of long slow distance really does help.

8:46 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Now is the time to bring your training all together and freshen things up and find out where you are at. I think some marathon pace runs and some speed work in these last few weeks should do you some good.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Olga said...

Hilda, crappy days happen. Sorry about pain though - hope it won't be back again.
As for last post - I am POSITIVE you'll run under 5! As Rob pointed - MP runs should be helpful:)

12:42 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

I think at this point marathon pace runs would help, as I seem to be echoing here. Don't let an occasional bad day (or series of bad days) throw you, just remain focused, get the mileage in the best you can and don't worry.

8:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home