Thursday, July 20, 2006

18 miles report

Started preparing for it from yesterday eating more complex carbs. Eating them was hard, this days I haven't been that hungry. Somehow I was forcing myself to ingest which seem to be lots of food.
Set the alarm 4:40, woke up at 5:00 mmmm. Pre-training meal was an orange juice and oatmeal. No problem at all to digest it, as I started running over the next five minutes after the last spoon.
The starting. How bad it was!! The problem was breathing, the air was so damped that it was hard to take some oxygen from it. Anyway I wasn't alarmed, there were many miles ahead to solve the problem, to get use to it, -I thought- and it was like that. Over the third mile I started breathing normally.
Today I used the shoes I am planning to use on the marathon day but I felt them so inflexible compared to the new ones that maybe I should give it a second thought, I'm on the right time.
As the first miles included some walking laps I pushed to end the first hour on time and could make it.
Training has given me the experience to know that during the run there are many ups and downs, so any time that a down was on, I was just waiting for the up to come knowing it was coming, that it was just about to happen, no matter what. Should be that now, my positive side is more confident and trust more to tell myself go on, instead of "walk". If my body was about to walk, my mind was saying go on, you don't need it and was fine. Just a slow motion step was done and then I was just there running again. Walking in fact was painful compared to running. Also while walking I could feel the hot even more.
Other positive thinking was that finishing was close and after that it was going to take me only a few minutes to feel again like if nothing had happened, like if it was someone else doing that effort. Imagine the shower and my fresh room and I was about to win that price. The effort seemed to be something ephemeral from that moment in the close future. That made me able to enjoy again my running.
The heat started over the 12 mile but it was just only for about 10 minutes, then some clouds came on time to give me some shadow, wonderful, thanks mother nature :)
Ended 15 miles on time. Three hours already. Two stops in the restroom included.
Went to the gym and recharged my back pack with cold water and poured two glasses on my head, how nice it was! Made me feel like the next three mile to be done were going to be fine, my mind was positive and clear.
Pace decreased some but I was still running over miles 16 and 17.
When started the 18th mile I was happy and smiling. Knowing that I could make a last effort and made it. Increased again the speed, but first I looked for my favorite songs. How they helped me!! Then I realized the sun was over me, but I was not feeling it. It was something happening outside of me. Inside I was just fine and focused on my running, wanting to try if I could do more...
Ended with a positive mind state. How nice is running, it gives you the nicest time to enjoy yourself, the only thing to be done is to go on no matter what is going on around.

11 Comments:

Blogger Olga said...

Wow, 18 miles already! Nice self-talk! I can't believe only recently you were talking 8 miles "long run" :)

Way to go, Hilda! It ain't so scary once you start, right?

12:07 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Great run Hilda. 18 miles is a LOONNNNNG RUN :)

1:06 PM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

I converted your 18miles into kilometres and was impressed to see 29km! Well done on a great, inspirational effort.

8:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Hilda,

18 miles! Wow! Congratulations.

People who plan to include running in their exercise program should look up to you and your positive thinking.

That's why, Healthifica.com is awarding you "HEALTHY BLOGGER THIS WEEK"!!!

Congratulations! You deserve it!

3:10 AM  
Blogger Lulu said...

That's great Hilda; 18 miles and after a few weeks break too. You're well on track for the big race! I think you should wear the shoes that feel the best for you.

3:49 AM  
Blogger Thomas said...

Great work, Hilda! 18 miles is truly a long run. You should be proud of yourself, especially in the heat.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice job on the 18 miler. Have a great weekend.

10:07 AM  
Blogger R2B said...

Thats the way you handle a long run!
Very inspiring Hilda i know with that attitude your marathon will be like an out of body experience.
Congratulations!

R2B

12:04 PM  
Blogger D said...

18 miles!! Nice job Hilda!

2:02 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Wow - nice long run Hilda - very well done indeed mate ;-)

8:03 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Wow. That is sensational Hilda. I'm so pleased that your training is going so well. Well done!

8:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home