Thursday, June 22, 2006

Knowing your limits makes you addicted

This was just an unbelievable workout for me!
16 miles!!
Set the alarm 4:45. Woke up and slowly prepared an oatmeal. I was feeling very sleepy and not precisely motivated or excited.
The starting was slowly and I missed the speed and strength from last Tuesday at the beginning. But it improved fast. I found myself with a 10 and something pace soon. This is too fast for me in a long run. It has to be between 11:30 and 12:30. I slowed down to save energy for the last miles trying to stick to a steady pace. Still it remained around 11:00. Incredible. Garmin could be lying I know but my legs were feeling strong and if for any reason I had to really slow down it was setting immediately a slower pace. I think "better" weather conditions aloud me to see a better performance. It was cloudy again :) The sun is the biggest energy thief.
The air was so damped, incredible. Breathing was forcing my HR to increase but I preferred to ignore this thinking about many facts that increase it and in order to get use to it ANYWAY. Pace was remains good.
Over the 10th mile I realize that my camel backpack was running out of water, it was because I lost some water as it wasn't properly closed. grrrrr :<>
So I made it that way. It was so nice to breath air again indoors.
Yes, still the last miles were some hard. But I thought they were going to be easier, I don't know if it was that this were not in fact 5 miles but miles 11-16. My legs started feeling stiff and it was a shame since they were in a great shape outside.
When I am on the treadmill it is some boring now, but I am like more focus and to end I just imagine on how time goes by so fast when I am wasting it doing anything else but running. Then it is false if I say running the last 20 minutes is too long, 20 minutes during the day go too fast... Better to enjoy this ones that are really well spent.

I feel glad that these are not my first long runs, it is like I know what to expect for and is happening even better. I can tell about differences which certainly mean there is and improvement!! I decided to run a marathon when I found out I like long runs, now that at this stage I'm feeling stronger than ever, and that recovery happens faster too, I want to find out how it feels like going further!

When I finished I even started doubting if in fact it was 16 miles what I did, it seem shorter in time and I was feeling good. Then, when I checked the times it was true, it is like I erased about ten minutes compared to last week time and with no struggle :O!!
14miles 2hr 50:min, 16 miles 3:02 min!! Happy, happy, happy!!

8 Comments:

Blogger Olga said...

Yee-haa! Hilda, you rock! And it's only a beginning! There ARE NO limits! Trust me, I know:)

1:01 PM  
Blogger miners said...

wow! Fantastic achievement Hilda.

7:41 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

How's the training going for your marathon? Another month and we'll beack in our house and will have our internet connection again, yay!

9:22 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

Do you have an email address Hilda?

9:23 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

"Knowing your limits makes you addicted", reaching new limits feeds your addiction! Keep it going!!

2:30 AM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

That is awesome Hilda and a great effort. Well done!

10:45 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

You limit is constantly moving.

16 miles. 20 miles... :O Geez..24.2 :D

4:52 PM  
Blogger Rae said...

Great job with the 16 miles!!!!!

7:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home