Tuesday, June 20, 2006

My turn to run with rain.


It seems like Tuesday's afternoon -when I run- it rains. Last week I didn't report it but I ran under such a heavy rain, that in fact it was more like a swimming session. When I started there were some clouds, I could make it for 3 miles, but over the fourth, I had to go against the rain, which was so so heavy that I even had to squeeze my eyes to take off the water. I felt the "drops" on my skin like stones hitting me. Couldn't breath couldn't see!!! And it was just a lonely tropical cloud...

I woke up today at 3am to take my oldest daughter to the airport. School ended and she is going to spend the summer in Mexico. The flight leaves from Santo Domingo so I had to take her there and then come back. A driver took us there so I had the chance to sleep for a while. I arrived around 11am and had a 5 miler to be done. As I am not a pm runner my undisciplined -to run in the afternoon- mind, was trying to sabotage me. It is easier to just go with out even thinking about it like in the morning. And the weather was helping...
The rain came earlier today than last week. I just decided to head the gym and do it there, but the idea wasn't attractive at all, I was feeling unmotivated, but was convinced about doing it. My price for being decided was that as soon as I opened the door the heavy rain stopped. There was only a light rain that made all my motivation come back. Fortunately I didn't miss this chance!! The atmosphere was fresh and there was no sun at all. The run seem to be more like a tempo and with no struggle at all. My legs were feeling stronger than ever!!

I am developing a black toe nail. Also my turn to try it. Now, I am feeling like a real runner :D It hurts, auch!

Tomorrow is rest but then, Thursday is the 16 miler!! I am just ready :)

10 Comments:

Blogger miners said...

Good to hear! I thought it NEVER rained over there in your sunny paradise :)

Best of luck for Thursday Hilda!

11:53 PM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

Being a tropical downpour I wouldnt think it would stay that long?

2:53 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Next time wear a swimming goggle on the run :)

10:02 AM  
Blogger Olga said...

Congrats on a black toenail! that's how I felt when I got my first one:)

12:46 PM  
Blogger psbowe said...

Did you try wearing a ball cap, that's what I do when it's raining, it keep the rain out of my eyes for the most part.

Nice running.

2:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good luck with the 16 miler and I am glad to hear that it actually rains where you live every once in awhile. I thought it was sunny 365 days a year.

12:47 AM  
Blogger Liv said...

Rain running can be nice, as long as it's not torrential. But I could definitely get tired of even a nice rain after 16 miles. That is, *if* I could run 16 miles! You, on the other hand, most assuredly can - you rock!

1:35 AM  
Blogger strewth said...

16 miles is awesome! Hope it went well today. Well done for running in the rain. I would probably have thought up an excuse not to go out that door! And in answer to your question, yes bananas grow in sunny Queensland in Australia but this state was struck by a hurricane a few months ago and this spoilt many of the banana plants and now they charge exorbitant prices for us poor people from other states in Australia. They're also quite difficult to find and I really miss them. They have become a luxury item!

7:44 AM  
Blogger Thomas said...

I think black toenails mean your shoes are too tight. Running in the rain is no problem. In fact I prefer rain to heat. Running in rain and strong wind, on the other hand, is nasty. Those are the conditions I hate most.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Rae said...

I bet running in the rain is a treat for you!!

10:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home