Monday, May 22, 2006

Heat Factor

Even finding a partner, -which I didn't at least, a real one,- my wonders about running those hills weren't accomplished yet. I depended also with the sun, the report said cloudy... It says that many times but no, not at all. The good news is the treadmill are fixed!!! Just in time.

WO: 5 miles, yoga. GOOD
I know many of you don't like the treadmill, but I find practical the way you can sustain speed or in this case inclined. In fact I practiced a Maximal Treadmill Stress Test which I found
here. Consisted in reaching a speed of 5-6 m/h with an elevation of 10% in 18 minutes. That supposed to give your MHR. My highest was 175, disappointing, I know. Hope that can improve with training. Until you find out how to do it, you train it!
Still I wonder if better conditions will give me a better rate. The air conditioned was off in the gym. It turns on automatically until 8. Next time I will do it latter to see how it changes. After the test, completed the 5 miles making three more repeats at 8.5% incline at 5 mph. Again my HR climbed nicely to 175.
When I am outside the speed sessions almost give me this HR but I bet an around off 10-15% of it is because of the heat, so now that the treadmill are fixed I will do them there. For sure that will make worked better. Also it will save me some energy that is wasted with the sun instead in to my muscles.

6 Comments:

Blogger Olga said...

This hill workout was a really good one! Nice job, Hilda!

12:55 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

And I just posted before i read what you said:) Not to worry, we all start somewhere! As for max HR - training would do wonders. Keep on going!

12:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I do not run much on the treadmill anymore, but I agree that it is a great place to do hill workouts as well as tempo and speed work. Nice job.

7:58 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

Good on you for getting on the treadmill - I've yet to give it a go!

12:11 AM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Heart Rates are quiet individual Hilda. It's not 'better' if you have a high HR. For example, mine has always been low, racing at 175 when I was younger and now only 155. Just train at 85-95% of your maximum at least once a week.

2:08 AM  
Blogger Rae said...

Great job!!! The heat can be such a factor!!!

9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home