Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Running economy on the treadmill

I have to confess that I left on the side the book "Lore of running", the first part is about anatomical stuff , but now it's talking about running economy which is pretty interesting.

"...When training for marathon distances my style changes naturally, cutting stride length and eliminating the tendency to lift knees. Through miles and miles of training, I honed my leg action to such a degree that I barely lifted my leg of the ground."

"Learn to run in an easy and serene manner without an atom of wasted energy. Use short strides. The longer your stride, the more you bob up and down. You ought to almostslither your feet over the ground, going as near to touchingit without actually doing it."

Running economy is a subject I was pretty interesting about, now it is a good time to practice this tendency.
In fact about the treadmill, it is also a good place to practice about some running economy. Shock impact is decreased as the HR goes down. I could saw nicely how I could run at and easy pace of 12:00 with only 135 -140HR. It is an improvement since before it was around 150 always, don't mention now outside and hot.

WO: 1.5 mile+weight+abs+1.5mile
You can not imagine the way I was sweating... I win to all of you certainly, it was like rain coming from my hair! And I was IN the gym, just imagine outside....
Felt great running, lots of energy and feeling strong. Ended on the top of it!!!

7 Comments:

Blogger Olga said...

Shuffling helps in long distance:) Though you'll need a stride for a finishing kick!

2:44 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Good post...I focus a lot on that..keep my feet shuffling off the ground..any unnecssary action (head movement, hand swinging) keeps to a minimum.

12:58 PM  
Blogger Thomas said...

It's funny that you should mention that "almost slithering" kind of running, because just today I felt that for the first time. It was like gliding just above the ground, and my heart rate was very low, despite running slighty uphill.

4:17 AM  
Blogger strewth said...

Sounds like a fantastic workout! Well done. If you want an interesting header I'm sure Susan http://www.runnersusan.com/
will help you. She designed mine and is very clever with her ideas!

6:29 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Hilda,

Not a philospher..just someone who thinks way too much :)

11:59 AM  
Blogger Papa Louie said...

If you run barefoot on the treadmill your form will also change. I think for the better. But it may not be for everyone.

2:14 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Another idea on the treadmill would be to adjust your running style so your heart rate comes down but the speed stays the same. This will show good economy.

Hannah also designs headers - you could ask her nicely!

3:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home