Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Stretching is failing

Workout: 30min jump rope and weights + 4 easy miles.

I have to confess that I been doing very bad with the stretching sessions. Maybe I fail them mentally b/c of this facts: 1. while stretching a lot I got injured and 2. in the "Lore of running" book say that stretching was not a difference factor for not being injured.
Still I feel better doing them, so I have to defeat this bad behavior. I stretched yesterday but not today... grrrrr, I will later, but prefer to do them immediately after running, but the time factor!
About the weights today I enjoyed specially the back and abs movements. They are very important and I haven't practiced then enough... I will have to overcome this new situation with weather... Make a new plan.
Over the end of the tirth mile I thought of cutting there, it was so sunny and hot, but completed the planned four thinking that I never cut miles and this was not enough reason for this to be the first time!

This morning Luis was telling me not to run three days in a row, as I was not doing so before, but changed since the marathon training models say that. But I remember I read somewhere: Don't listen to non-runners advise!
Still I was feeling some tired but I bet it was regardless of not sleeping well after a huge dinner with arracheras, fried onions and smashed potatoes... You see why I don't record here my food diary?

13 Comments:

Blogger Wobbly man said...

Hi Hilda, my program also had me running 3 dyas in a row so I ran early morning, early morning and then late afternoon on the three days. That way you get an extra 12 hours rest between the last two runs. I too only stretch after runs but do warm up slowly.

1:13 PM  
Blogger D said...

Everyone seems to have differing opinions on stretching. For me, stretching seems to help my run. Try this: run for a mile, stop, stretch and then continue running. You should feel a difference. Stretching while your muscles are warm (a mile into your run and right after you finish your run) is the best time to do it. I like Wobbly man's suggestion on the 3 days in a row run.

2:12 PM  
Blogger Lulu said...

I think stretching helps but you need to do it gently and hold the stretches for a while; not just a quick stretch.

Good to see you're enjoying your funky shoes and exploring some new territory. It's good to have a variety of places to run.

7:38 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

I tend to only stretch after running and even then I'm not that consistent. However I do yoga and i find that really helps.

My training program had me running up to 5-6 days in a row with one day recovery. In the easy weeks I got to have 2 days of recovery. It was a tough program and it took me a while to get used to it. The days alternated between easy runs and harder runs and every 4th week was an easy week.

12:41 AM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Hilda, even if you can do 10 minutes of running before stretching that will help.

I don't think 'days in a row' is neccessarily a problem. Alternating easy and hard days is usually safe with perhaps one day off each week.

2:27 AM  
Blogger 2P said...

I do most of my stretches in the shower - its the only time I can stand still long enough to do them ;-)

2:27 AM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

It does make me laugh when non-runners are suddenly experts on running!

8:41 AM  
Blogger psbowe said...

stretching always helps me relax and run more smoothly than if I don't.. so it's probably different with everyone.

I like to post pics of food just cuz I'm evil that way! :)

1:09 PM  
Blogger Papa Louie said...

I have been running for 20 years and have come to the conclusion that I do not need to strecth before or after a run. I do strecth throughout the day the legs, arms, torso, etc.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Thomas said...

Can I tell you a secret? I don't stretch. I tried it for some time but didn't find it helpful. My injury rate hasn't changed since I stopped.

But I am doing Yoga once or twice a week, and there is a lot of stretching involved in that.

7:48 AM  
Blogger Olga said...

Yeah, I am lazy with stretching too...never have time. Back in NYC it was yoga 7-8 times a week, now just a back habit. I only do it after a gym workout if I hit sauna for 5 min.

1:59 PM  
Blogger Rae said...

I'm never as good about stretching as I should be!

I usually run every other day. During marathon training I ran Mon, Tues, Wed, Thur & Sat and that was enough for me! Now I run Sun, Tues, Thurs, Sat and I feel so much more refreshed!

9:45 PM  
Blogger Papa Louie said...

I am VERY impressed with your 30 minute jump rope! Was it non stop? I jumped for 10 minutes non stop and it was tough! I think jump roping is a great workout!! If you have more to say about J.R. please email me. Thank you for your inspiration.

11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home