Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Resting is unacceptable

Textually Lore of running says:
Furthermore, there is no doubt that rest is "the most unacceptable form of treatment for the serious runner" Chapter 14, page 754.
About this phrase I will just add that it is not saying that you have to be an elite runner to be a serious one...

Of course the book says first that instead of being looking for remedies, stretching, or resting, the main thing that most be done is to look for the cause. If you rest you will feel better but as soon as you go running it will go the same if the cause hasn't been treated.

I found my causes already and I am changing them. Blooger helped me a lot. I read my posts and this is what I've found:
  • I made several long runs before changing shoes and I had no problem.
  • After using my new shoes a couple weeks the ITB problem appear. The second new pair I have is not good for improving it either, so I will have to go back to the first model since it never gave me this problem and will stick to it for ever, changing a lot doesn't help at all.
  • Last Friday ITB appear again AFTER a hill. I was shocked and didn't think of it, so until I am completely recovered I will do hills again.
  • The Achilles problem comes from the tightness of the ankle, so since I am using the orthotics, stretching and all the rest, it will be fine.
  • This last month I went for long runs too quickly. I will just continue doing runs no longer than 8 miles until the marathon training that will start next end of April.
  • My new shoes are on the way.

For all this I went for 5 miles this morning and felt great. I use the best pair of shoes I have and orthotics. I was great. I am so happy, I feel I will definitely be successful to make it to the marathon! Thanks Lore of Running, I am learning so much!

9 Comments:

Blogger Olga said...

You made great discoveries and points of why you got injured. I have to say, in my own experience, I had shoes that gave me blisters, knee pain and my husband dealt with ITB. After finding the right shoe it was gone. So you probably hit it with your old shoes. Stretching Achilles (and massaging) should help also. You've got a very sound plan, now just follow it:)

6:40 PM  
Blogger Papa Louie said...

Greetings! I am amazed how many people suffer with pain related injury due to shoes. You'll have to read some of my recent posts on running barefoot. Take Care.

9:16 PM  
Blogger Thomas said...

I hope it's really the shoes that cause the problems - in which case it should be easy to fix it.

All runners know how frustrating rest can be - don't worry, you're not alone.

4:28 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

For me, i don't want to run fast b/c the new shoes i have i don't have confident tehy can give me the support. I love my old pair of shoes though. I need to find a way to grab as many of those as possible. They stop making them anymore..argh.. :O

10:02 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have several pair of shoes that work for me and I stick with them. I also rotate shoes on a regular basis meaning that I wear one pair one day and another pair the next day. I know not everyone has several pair of running shoes, but I like this method. It seems like it gives my shoes time to rest as well.

11:13 AM  
Blogger psbowe said...

Hmmm, maybe I should try rotating shoes.
Good to know that the orthotics are working out.

4:56 PM  
Blogger Liv said...

Glad you're working on the problem - and finding solutions! Shoes definitely make a world of difference - I returned a pair a few months ago because they gave me blisters, and then went out to hunt down a new pair of my old shoes. I lucked out that time, but I have the same problem as Cliff, theyve now stopped making them! Grr. Hope you have better luck :)

12:20 AM  
Blogger D said...

It's always a learning process isn't it? Smart to stick to the shoes that have worked for you. Keep track of your mileage in your new shoes to help determine when it is time to replace them. Take care Hilda.

1:42 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

Very sensible Hilda - sometimes it just pays to be patient. When I first took up running I ran too far, too often and too fast and ended up with lots of injuries - it was very frustrating! So take it easy.

Also, you asked what were sunnies - it's just short for sunglasses.

11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home