Sunday, March 12, 2006

Awake in bed

It was 6:15 when I woke up, a perfect time to go running, but I'm not.

This spur wasn't the reason for visiting the doctor, it wasn't the heel, it was ITBS. I mentioned the heel to the doctor because of my problems with Achilles Tendon.

I went to run on Friday morning. I went for 8 miles. But first I went to the gym and made the circuit with jump rope. That was another mistake, since I was supposed to be resting on Wednesday and trying this run as a recovery one. Also that is not the way to combine both.

Around mile 4 I was fine, but ITB started complaining. Then disappeared. Achilles tendon started bothering me over the sixth mile.

Now I understand that Achilles is tight because of the heel. So I have a whole collection of problems, but I still fell I will overcome all this.
I am stretching Achilles a lot and resting ITB again. For all this my body is stressed and not in good shape to wish to go running.

I already ordered orthotics which is what the doctor recomended me. And for ITB he gave me some pills, but I still know what to do.

Let's see how this week goes.

10 Comments:

Blogger Cliff said...

Hilda,

Thanks for the comment.
Good luck with the ITBS....

I find that hot tub stretching helps a lot.

7:01 AM  
Blogger Olga said...

Hopefully orthotics helps, but it may be slow. I wish you patience in recovery.

9:45 AM  
Blogger Thomas said...

Very frustrating, I know, because I have been through that myself (and will be again, no doubt). Rest, and heal.

5:01 PM  
Blogger Lulu said...

I'm sorry to hear that you have all these issues Hilda. I know how you feel. That's why I stopped running seriously at the end of last year to give myself a chance to sort out all my issues. It will take a bit of time but you 'll get there.

I know you do quite a bit of gym work too so make sure you're strengthening your VMO muscles which will help a lot with the itb. Also stretch out the adductors.

The other thing that is helping me at the moment is having lots of massage to loosen up the muscles that are causing problems. This has been particularly effective for my achilles. Is there a good sports massage person you can see?

Good luck with it and keep on stretching!

5:50 PM  
Blogger Wobbly man said...

Sending you lots of healing thoughts Hilda! A few days complete rest will help and not slow you down at all in the long run. Trouble is living where you do, I think it would be very easy to get used to doing not much!

11:49 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Oh no :-(

I'm sending healing thoughts your way too. Lulu is right; make sure you strength your VMO and stretch your quads, hamstrings & glutes (as well as your ITB). Massage & rest are the other keys. May your ITB-encounter be very brief!

3:35 AM  
Blogger psbowe said...

Orthotics has been a life saver for me, especially with the shin-splints! Take it easy now..

1:41 PM  
Blogger Rae said...

It sounds like you have a lot of great solutions on the way! I think orthotics will make a huge difference for you. Enjoy some of your rest!

9:11 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Sounds like a bit of a rest might not be such a bad idea Hilda.

Take it easy - I'm sending you lots of healing and happy thoughts ;-)

12:31 AM  
Blogger Black Knight said...

What a sad post. Please look after yourself, maybe this is the right time to take a little of rest.

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home