Friday, March 31, 2006

Punta Cana running experiment

Punta Cana is an area 40 minutes from where I live. The school is there and since today my youngest daughter had a presentation, I planned to run there after the event (which lasted about only 10 minutes).
I always run in the hotel area or at the beach. Making a change definitely was something that I needed and a lot!
The hotel and the beach are somehow private areas. You can not access to the beach if you aren't staying in a hotel.
I can't run on the streets since there are not sidewalks, in fact the area is underdeveloped despite the luxury hotels that also you can find.
That makes the area completely unattractive to run outside, in fact even in Punta Cana where the airport is and where Oscar de la Renta and Julio Iglesias have their houses, there are no streets only the highway. Writing this I realized that it is maybe me who is scared of everything, but running on lonely roads where you don't see anybody walking and me there, with shorts, mmm not precisely the perfect scenery to run.
I explain all this so you value how nice it is to feel save running in developed and safe places even while sometimes its spooky...
For all this (I guess)when I was ready to start and saw my HR monitor, it was in 120 and I hadn't even started. This is incredible, looks like this new situation made my heart rate rise that
much!!! My mind immediately traveled to a marathon day, when despite of had been training it could happen and make me fail.
The surface the was another fact to learn. How nice it is to run on which
I think should be similar to a trail surface. From time to time when I reached an entrance and had to climb the road, I felt like if each of my legs were a ton. I thought running on trails should be nice and easy for the legs, but is much more than I imagined. The road is covered with some type of very short grass.
The first miles were fine despite the high Heart rate, which never went down. Over the last miles I was so concentrated on the road and with running as ever. It should be that the road is straight and the landscape is all the same. Some rain join me from time to time, it gave me another fact to rise the HR since breathing moisture makes it harder to catch the oxygen. Time flew!!
Forget the pace, it was low, well, as usual, but not at this HR. Over 11:00 per mile with a 160hr grrr, total 6 miles.

This morning I was at school with my funky shoes and didn't notice any strange looks, I am thinking that here in the tropical weather, in a Latin country, you certainly see many funky persons and nobody cares.
But still when I was using my back pack and cap I felt like an alien, hahaha as I said before, this is not for fancy people. I shouldn't worry to much is them who got scared!!
This was a great morning, my body is feeling great I will have to make one or two of my weekly runs there.

Thanks for reading and visiting me have a nice weekend!!!!!!!!

14 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I always like running in new places as well. Have a great weekend.

7:18 PM  
Blogger D said...

A nice change of pace for you. Have a great weekend.

7:54 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Variety is the spice of life Hilda ;-)

Glad to hear you enjoyed it so much.

8:33 PM  
Blogger Thomas said...

I never care how I look when I'm running. Often the most unflattering clothes are the most practical ones.

Running isn't for people who want to look beautiful while doing it - you're sweating, and you might look tired. It's between running that the body looks better, not during. ;-)

12:27 PM  
Blogger Rae said...

Great job on the run! I love to mix it up and try new places, it seems like it keeps it more interesting!!

I can't stand running on the road, when there's no sidewalk. People around here drive too crazy. I'm still not crazy about night runs by myself, esp in places where there's not a lot of traffic.

6:13 PM  
Blogger strewth said...

Sounds like you had a lovely run. Enjoy the rest of your weekend. The Canberra Marathon and Ultra are not what one could call hilly but there are definite undulations along the way which feel like big hills when you're tired!! Lovely to hear from you.

1:39 AM  
Blogger Ewen said...

I guess we're spoiled in Canberra with a great variety of safe places to run and lots of people to run with.

I see there are only 147 days, 4 hours etc to go!

1:52 AM  
Blogger psbowe said...

It always fun to explore and great pictures to prove it!

5:29 AM  
Blogger Olga said...

Yep, new places are fun. Glad you're back!

8:15 AM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

I always enjoy running on new trials. The scenery (or lack of it) is always interesting.

If you have to run on the road or the verge of it try facing on-comming traffic. I always feel safer that way.

9:28 PM  
Blogger Wobbly man said...

Hi Hilda, Just stopping by to say thank you for your kind words of encouragement on my blog. The new place to run sounds great.

6:39 AM  
Blogger R2B said...

Hi Hilda,
Don't stress too much about high heart rates it doesn't necesarily mean you will fail.Only if you have it for long periods of running according to a book by a famous exercise physiologist i am reading.As for new places to run...well for me i love to explore new places but always with safety in mind!

R2B

10:26 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Funky shoes...we need pics :D

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... Mike shaw subaru Fiat seicento side panel Vacuum and fragrance and rainbow Best free meridia online Game crack total college basketball pdr zyrtec Clomid+dosage

3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home