Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Just feel like resting...

Yesterday I felt very tired during the day. Energy was depleted. This is my easy week, I am not training for any event, hahahaha, when am I?

I just remember now the days off I took at the end of January and how well I felt when I started running again. At this time I am not injured or anything close, but feel like making a brief stop of two days will go fine. I repeat this again and again to myself, because I am not happy at all of canceling a run. Nothing will happen if I skip one run in a month, in fact it will be the first.

I was looking at my numbers again. January I ran 136 miles. Now, February when I started slowing down and ordering the training in a better way, dropped to 80. That puts me all the way back to September, when after three years of running, I started making numbers and calculating distances, pace, and those numbers. I've done much more, but still I doubt if it was in a better way.

I had breakfast with A, she is the mother of one of my daughter's friends. She is Mexican too. The first thing she saw -I think-, was that I was limping just a little. She said, let's not walk a lot because I can see your foot is hurting. (It happens to me sometimes, after being sitting for a long time, but then it recovers and it's fine, is more like stiff) I told her I was fine.
She knows I like to run but as soon as she could, she started talking me about some yoga positions she found very helpful to loose weight and to feel better. I just thank her and didn't talk about the subject at all, but I think like she and not only her, but some of the people that knows me, should think I am crazy running and training to no where.
Even there was one who told me if I was running a marathon at least I should win it.

I don't look for support from THEM at all of course, but it is always funny the way people, think they know everything about fitness and the things that are good or bad for the body. Even if it is only a theory never practiced. I was one of them, in fact.

I started to read Lore of running, certainly you know which book is that.
(I didn't know it was that big, I bought it in the internet, looks like the runner's bible)
In the first part it starts talking about preconceptions of how the word works. It is like we were already born with some "sort of knowledge" of everything. Thanks to science that is explaining us now the truth.
I will share here about interesting facts I find there...

I will go for 8 miles on friday.

8 Comments:

Blogger Thomas said...

Am i one of THEM? Well, I might give you advice anyway.

I think you should be a bit more positive towards Yoga. I do it once or twice a week (once a week in a class) and find it a very helpful addition to running. It helps you keep flexible and is a good cross-training IMHO.

12:31 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

The book IS Bible. And I like yoga, but don't do it as often as would like to. As for explaining people about running - good luck:) I wasn't able to.

1:17 PM  
Blogger psbowe said...

Yep, yoga is great. I'm working on doing more of it, but for some reason or another I don't it often enough.

Nice reading material there.

2:22 PM  
Blogger Lulu said...

I'm not a big fan of yoga. I did it for two years and didn't really think I benefited much. I ended up with a stiff back! I prefer pilates it seems to suit me better.

Having a rest day is a good thing. Your body gets stronger while it's resting so you should feel great for your run on Friday.

5:02 PM  
Blogger D said...

Rest is good once in a while. We run hard, we should also rest our bodies. I don't know how you run w/all of the humidity. I ran at the Y last night and it was HOT and HUMID and I felt like I was going to die. (Slight exaggeration!)

10:49 AM  
Blogger Liv said...

Enjoy your rest day, you deserve it!

12:18 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Rest is good! I am telling myself that since I have been resting this week.

The Lore of Running is often considered the runners bible. I have not read through it, but one of these days will have to buy it.

1:27 AM  
Blogger Rae said...

I really enjoy yoga for stretching me out and relaxing my muscles, as a good cross trainer.

Great job with all the mileage! Isn't it funny how the non-runner just assume we're really hurting ourselves??

10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home