Friday, February 03, 2006

To run or not to run or The importance of stretching


After the fiasco run my legs continued being very sore all everywhere. I was becoming to be very nervous and frighten of this time having something serious. It was a bad pain, but nothing compared to the idea of not being able to run.
Wednesday afternoon made Nicole's training and it helped some.
Yesterday morning finally be able to identified finally where do the worst of the pain was. ITB. Immediately went to check my books to see specific recommendations for it and the remarkable thing about it is that it says not to stop running IF you can run trough pain!! Because this pain of course is so bad that won't let you go.
Prevention steps are stretching... Then I realized, until that moment, how bad I was this last two weeks about it.
In some other book read that stretching after a long run could drive you to a higher risk since the muscles are so tight at that moment, so my conclusion was that since I was stretching "some" everyday in the afternoon session, that it should be enough. But not, definitely the lack of stretch appeared as this pain.
Running requires discipline. Skipping steps drive you to a whole, when will I learn that???
Look what I made: used a band, massage, hot inducer cream, took ibuprofen.
Nothing helped. The relief came until I stretched!! It was like an instant medicine.
So of course I practiced it several times yesterday's afternoon at the session and at home. I was feeling so good before going to bed that practiced my sacred ritual of preparing my stuff for Friday's run.
After a good night this morning I wasn't completely sure of going. But this time a new voice came to stage saying, "just go, there is always a chance to go and get in to the run". Making decisions at 6 in the morning is not my best, but I could still managed to make a plan. Walking through the hotel to the beach, making a short run there if it was possible, go back to the hotel and stretch ITB, changing my shoes and run 3 miles.
It worked. In fact the pain didn't appear!! Finished 8 miles total feeling the luckiest person in the word, of course I cut my run for not to abuse of my good condition. Anyway it was about 9am and the sun was getting very hot as it was also becoming very humid since we had some rain last night.
Conclusion: I am such a coward!!!

7 Comments:

Blogger Cliff said...

I am glad u went out there.

Check out Bolder's blog. He mentioend about ITBS as well.

http://bolderinboulder.blogspot.com/2006/01/it-bs-part-deux.html

12:41 PM  
Blogger Iron Jayhawk said...

That photo is stunning!!!! I wish I lived on the water (the Chicago River doesn't count).

6:12 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

Not a coward Hilda - very sensible. Be careful with ITB pain - and stretch, stretch, stretch. Good running though - you have definitely improved a lot!

6:07 AM  
Blogger Black Knight said...

Inspiring photo. I had the some problems. NOw I stretch, stretch and stratch mainly after the workout. The therapist said that after hard trainings I MUST have a hot bath, better if thermal.

5:47 AM  
Blogger D said...

Beautiful photo Hilda. Nice job completing the 8 miles pain free.

9:58 AM  
Blogger psbowe said...

It's so nice to hear you find ways to relieve that ITB pain. Stretching is my weakness too, I guess I better do a better job from now on too.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Thomas said...

Glad to hear you got rid of the pain! I wish all injuries responded to such a quick fix

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home