Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Taking a break is stressing!!

After the rush and worry of being able to run on friday, I was feeling fine but as the same time some tired. So I decided to take sunday off.
On Sunday I was reading "The Complete Book of Running" and finally find the answers that I was asking myself about for how long to continue increasing milage and time.
Made some numbers and I think that I've been working harder than if it has been a marathon training.
Total weeks doing long runs: 19
This long runs started from the first week on september 23th, with ten miles and finished with 18 last january 27th. These were my first long runs ever but didn't know if I was doing good with this amount of running.
9 weeks were of four days running, 9 of three days and one with two (that was when I was stomach sick on december). There was no a complete week of or a week for slowing down.
That's a 85% efficiency.
Becuase of this I thought that I should slow down some. Decrease the milage for a couple weeks. And despite of not feeling really motivated to go, this morning went for a 4 miles run.
It was awful. My legs weighted tons each. Hardly completed those 4. The funny part is as I was feeling such a bad effort I was thinking, ok fin I should rest, while I do that I can go and swim... no, ok then I'll do come cycling...no!!
During the day I've been feeling so depleted that now I know that I must take at least a week completely off. No group in the afternoon, no swimming, no cycling.
Is like if I had just ran the marathon... and it was only 4 miles.
I have to report all this to my own experience, to posterity and also to repeat myself to make me understand that it will be fine.
That this will make me recover...
But it is so hard. Not only to resignate and to know that I won't run for some days but also to see how I will feel. When I skip a run, the third day I start feeling without energy, unmotivated, depressed. And still just to think about missing those nice long runs I feel sad... I spect to be able to complete this part of the process.
Anyway there's still a hope... Abril and Luis are with some kind of flu, so, it is maybe possible that I am defeating myself of contracting it, and that's why I feel that tired... so if I feel better.. well I will report anything that happens!
Note: SORRY, NO SPELL CHECK AVAILABLE!!! GRRRRR

12 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I hope the rest allows you to feel better when you start up again.

1:38 AM  
Blogger Olga said...

Everone should have a complete rest! I was afraid of it myself, but took 2 weeks of in November (OK, I did go for a hike/run combo on a weekend, but still, 2 weeks - no structure!) Sleep in, relax, heal aches and pains. You'll be back!

8:43 AM  
Blogger D said...

I know your frustration Hilda. It sounds like a break is absolutely necessary. Take a break and come back stronger!

8:33 PM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

I'm looking forward to reading how you are stronger than ever after a break. Rest well.

5:28 AM  
Blogger Thomas said...

4 miles can be the worst distance, because you stop by the time you're fully warmed up. I had some long runs when after 3 miles I thought I'll never make it to the end, but after 4 or 5 miles I felt fine again.

I don't think you need much of a rest. I bet within one week you can't stop yourself from running again.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Hilda,

Don't be afraid of taking a few days off. Whenever I do that, I cherish those times b/c I don't have as many lazy days as I use to before I train.

Someone once posted that you don't get stronger by running. B/c if u do, your second mile will be faster than your first. You get stronger by resting after a run.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Black Knight said...

When I skip a run, the third day I start feeling without energy, unmotivated, depressed: my same feeling!

2:28 PM  
Blogger Rae said...

With some rest you'll be feeling better in no time.

Are you training for anything specific?

8:30 PM  
Blogger Wobbly man said...

I have no doubt you will make a great return! Be patient and enjoy.

5:20 AM  
Blogger CJ said...

I hope everything is ok Hilda and that you haven't come down with the flu. Take care and hope to hear from you soon!

11:02 PM  
Blogger psbowe said...

We could all use a little break sometimes. Take it easy and relax.

12:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work Pat elliot basketball remover for hair cape town south africa vending toys Kia of america service centers What is baseball amateur drafts slot money http://www.vardenafil-1.info

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home