Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Vanity or competitive... neither one.

I say I am not competitive, but as soon as I see someone else running faster than me, I try to go faster, feel bad, start to tell myself turtle... Then my mind starts to understand and to justify it saying many reasons for it, like, well, how do I know for how long they have been running, or is because is a man, or because is younger. To end saying that my genetics won't help me to increase the speed faster. Also genetic the fact that the instinct of survival is always telling yourself that you have to be better to go on, to stay alive among the others.
Today I ran 8 miles.
Last night I train legs at 9:00 pm. Tried those depth jumps. I didn't have enough sleep and I awoke feeling very sleepy.
That (I think) made the first four miles soooo tough! Even I was thinking of quitting. There was when blogging helped. To my mind came RAE with her epic run of 18 miles, and thought, go on!! Then Susan with her feeling of sadness for not finishing her scheduled distance.
That made me continue, and over the fifth mile I was much better.
Anyway I finished with the slow average pace of 10:32, which is the slowest ever for most of the runners... Ok, but I should say that as always, and in spite of being such a turtle, I enjoyed it sooo much!!

8 Comments:

Blogger Cliff said...

Slow and fast is always a perspective.

I try to see that right now i am running slow b/c I only started to run seriously. I figure if i train as hard, I would run as that person.

This is the mindset I try to get myself into. Notice the word 'try'. It doesn't work all the time. But when it works, I am more positive and commited to keep training.

I am quite competitive. So that side of me is not helping me trying to keep things slow and steady.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Wobbly man said...

Don't forget "they ahve oprobably been running a lot longer than I have"! Good for you for completing your 8 miler!

3:02 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Good on you for sticking with it today and finishing your run Hilda. Doing a legs session the night before a run leaves me struggling too - but just think how much stronger you will be for having finished it!

4:47 PM  
Blogger miners said...

Great effort to continue on with the run despite you getting the urge to stop!

12:28 AM  
Blogger 2P said...

Just got back from my holidays - thanks so much for your continued nice comments on my blog while I was away.

Sounds like 2006 has started well for you Hilda - I like the new picture and the words "2006 marathon year" - good for you!

Cheers, 2P :-)

6:21 AM  
Blogger psbowe said...

8 miles, that in itself is awesome! Nice job!

1:56 PM  
Blogger D said...

Isn't it funny how competitive we get when there is another runner out there? We just have to be smart and run for ourselves. Your photos are always so pretty. Good run!

9:09 PM  
Blogger Rae said...

Great job!! All the running bloggers keep me really motivated, too! (And accountable!)

Keep up the hard work and soon the miles will pass away before you know it!

9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home