Wednesday, January 10, 2007

A real runner partner

On Tuesday I was supposed to met 2 moms from school to go for a bike ride. Instead of waiting for them 30 minutes I thought of going for a short run as I was in Punta Cana, the place where the school is. A beautifil green safe area that has a "trial" on the side of the road. I've run there once only as it is some far to get there early with my girls, but from this run I will have to go there more often, seriously.
It was a great run, a shame I forgot to my Garmin, I love the maps. Warmed up for 5 minutes and I was already able to run which doesn't happen lately. Immediately felt happy with a steady pace on this soft surface. I had my phone with me, there I checked the time and when I had run 20 minutes I went back. About five minutes later I met with L who was running, -she was in the group when I was with the kickboxing thing- I was so happy to see her that I turned back and continued with her. We started chatting and after about 10 minutes I started feeling the effort of running and chatting. But it was ok. She is a runner! In fact she was talking me about her training and an expedition to the highest point of the island called Pico Duarte at the end of January.
She is a short woman maybe a feet smaller than I -maybe- but she is FAST. Well at least stronger and faster. We accorded to run from time to time togheter.
The landscape and company made me realize about my lack of motivation this last days. It also should be some boreness. I need challenges, to feel motivated for running but with real runners. Sorry for N and M my actual partners but they've made me lazy :-P Now I decide it is their fault.
By the way I missed the other bike partners...

Today I went to the gym thinking of running at the treadmil and do there an easy workout considering yesterday as a hard day. Warmed up for 5 minutes and had to stop to move one of my orthotics that has caused me a blister grrrr. Still I was able to concentrate and continue running.
I was checking my low heart rate. I set my usual speed of 5m/h and it was still around 140 when normally it is over 150. I wondered if I could reach again 160 as before. Started a hill session. Made in total 8 reps of 1 min at 8 incline which is the max rate I usually reach, with about 2 minutes to recover on 4 miles total.
For the first 5 reps I lowered the speed to 4.7 The HR continue being very low; it only increased to 150 not 160. But it was nice, incredible, but I wasn't as tired as before in same conditions.
The last 3 reps I left the speed on 5 and finally the HR climbed to 160. But it was fine, in fact I haven'r feel tired or bad during the day :D
With this run I completed 6 days in a row training with a low total of 17 miles and 1 hour bike. I am feeling fine so I'm planning to go to Punta Cana tomorrow again for an hour or more of bike ride!
Photos and map tomorow!

*A note about weight. I feel happy to confirm that I didn't gain weight on December. I feel proud. Didn't loose but I'm still on 149 despite my lack of training. Yeah!
Spell checking doesn't work and loggin in is a whole problem since I moved to betta grrr.

8 Comments:

Blogger CJ said...

Happy new year Hilda! Glad you enjoyed the photos - must remember to post more this year. Its always good to have challenges or a change of environment when running. I get bored too when I do the same run all the time. Its nice when I get to run with other runners from different areas, like running with Tesso the other day!

5:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great to hear you got in 6 days of training. Consistency will make you a stronger runner. I wish I could run in sun and warmer temperatures right now.

9:28 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

That's great to hear you may have found a 'real' running partner. There's nothing like meeting people for runs to keep the motivation up.

That place sounds like a good venue for running too :)

11:54 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Congratulations on maintaining your weight over Christmas Hilda - great work.

6:43 AM  
Blogger Thomas said...

Try to run with L as often as you can. To run with a faster running partner is not only a lot of fun, it is also a great way to get faster yourself.

7:41 AM  
Blogger Phil said...

It's great to have a good running partner, much easier to keep up a faster tempo. And congrats for not gaining any during December! Great job Hilda.

7:35 PM  
Blogger Black Knight said...

You are the first person I know who didn't gain weight on christmas time.

7:35 AM  
Blogger Rae said...

Great job with your running! And major kudos for not gaining any weight in December!! That is dedication!

5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home