Saturday, October 07, 2006

Struggle No.1

As I will be doing two-three "hard" sessions a week, I will rate them and analyze what kind of effort I made. It was so interesting to read about your opinions about what a struggle is!! Now I understand more how it is so relative, depending on the day, the stage, the fitness conditions, etc.
Last night it wasn't junk food but delicious food what I put into my mouth. A steak called churrasco and smashed potatoes was my dinner, about 1000 calories, great. !@#$
Sooner than latter I paid for this. That is not the recommended diet for someone who is planning to run the next morning.
No matter what kind of run is!












Week 1 Day 6: 30 minutes tempo
I thought it was going to be too hard to rise the speed so I decided to change it for the easy 6 miles.
Started easy but it wasn't going good. Changed again and thought that a 10 minutes "struggle" was easier.
Rate: Good effort
It was my first tempo ever and felt good. Despite the humid morning, blah blah blah, I could rise the speed bit a bit and sustain it for 10 minutes. Or at least that was my feeling. Minutes flew sooner than I could imagine. The sustained effort gave a good confidence and made me feel good. Laps were 11:39, 9:52, 10:51. It was some hard to go back to an slower pace at the end. For some moments I wanted to walk but I struggled, -not so bad- and kept going. I sweat so much, but ended feeling very happy. It was fun.
Garmin graphic says my tempo wasn't that in fact. Look more like a normal run... I will work on that and try to be as accurate as D when doing her laps :) Oh yeah, someday someday....

Week 1 Day 4: 3 m + Strength
I went with my partner walking along the beach for about 30 minutes. The sun was SO HOT, you can't imagine, we were there giving away our energy to the sun. As we reach the hotel again, I NEEDED to run. What a nice feeling. It is that after the beach my HR and legs were warm enough to go on. The last mile was the best. Still I have to burn more calories. No more walking for me.
The strength session was ok. From next week after finishing with my partner, I will stay at the gym to continue with an extra serie and my old abs session. I need strength!

7 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Keep up those strength sessions & it will come very quickly. And getting consistent splits is *really* hard - something I can never do !

10:26 PM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

Sounds a bit warm to be running outside. Early mornings or stick to the gym.

6:24 AM  
Blogger D said...

You know what the most important thing was with regard to your tempo run Hilda? The fact that you kept running even though you felt like walking! Good job!

5:40 PM  
Blogger Samurai Running said...

Hi Hilda

You say you need "more strength" but those "smashed potatoes" would would say otherwise.

By the way how hot is "so hot" I can only imagine the heat and humidity is a killer there.

5:56 AM  
Blogger Ewen said...

I liked your 'first tempo ever' run Hilda. Well done!

Sometimes it's just a matter of overcoming the inertia of running slowly. Once your body adjusts to the faster pace of a run it can become 'comfortably hard' and fun.

6:20 AM  
Blogger Wobbly man said...

You kept running didn't you? Well done. Your mental strength is the take home lesson from that one!

9:38 AM  
Blogger Lulu said...

It definitely takes a while to adjust running a bit faster. I find it helpful to think about increasing my leg turnover and moving them quicker than pushing myself along more, if that makes sense.

In hard sessions I try to go for feeling out of breath and with an elevated heart rate but not really gasping for air.

Good to have you back with us. And to answer your question about the time taken to travel from Australia, you just have to get used to it if you live here, it's so far from anywhere!

10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home