Thursday, April 20, 2006

A new sensation!

This is what I like about doing something new. How the body behaves and its answer. There is a different response for every singly type of sport and is great to enjoy it.

WO: bike 10 miles 1 hour
The beginning of this relationship was fine. Of course I was excited about it. In general started and finished with no struggle and felt fine; of course nothing like running but much better than indoors at the gym moving on different machines like last week.
My heart rate strayed around 130 which is the 70%. Enjoyed to feel the breeze and the speed over my face.
As when I run, the end was the best part, I felt steady, comfortable and enjoying! I definitely can stick to it!

Now I am wondering how often could I practice this safely.
Next Monday I will start my marathon training. Finally I choose which one to follow. It is "The Chicago Program" which I found in the book "Marathon" by Hal Higdon. It is a 18 weeks program and liked that it includes 1 day of cross training, that's why I seriously thought of buying the bike. What I don't like is that the first 8 weeks it schedules 2 only 3 miles runs a week. Could I combine it with some ride? Maybe it will depend on the way I feel.
Any suggestions will be highly appreciated!!

5 Comments:

Blogger Olga said...

First of, congrats on a bike! You ride pretty fast!
Second, if I may for the plan...since you've already been running longer, use a different plan (like not beginer, but someone advanced). Secondly, yes, I'd say, if you choose to run 3M to the letter, biking would be ok. Another option is to bike hard when you're scheduled for running easy (it gives rest to running muscle thus preventing injuries, yet working your aerobic capacit, and hill muscles). Adjust any plan you pick to yourself - don't follow the schedule faithfully, it's a general outline and direction.

12:26 AM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Nice bike Hilda. :-)

My tendancy would be to use the bike on easy run days as part of your recovery - an easy run and bike. Or, replace the easy run with a longer bike ride.

5:02 AM  
Blogger Thomas said...

I would not swap a recovery run for a bike, but using the bike on cross training days, or to add a second workout on easy days is ok.

And I agree with Olga, if the training plan you're looking at only has 3M runs at the beginning, you should be looking at a more demanding one, like one of Hal Higdon's Intermediate Plans.

6:17 AM  
Blogger Rae said...

The bike looks great!

I always modify plans to my needs. A lot of the plans are really for beginners just starting to run so I would skip ahead to later weeks and possibly repeat some of them or find a more advanced plan.

7:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! » » »

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home