Friday, January 13, 2006

Longest run until now!


Last night I was freaking out because my ankle started to hurt after I used shoes with some heel. It was a small one, I swear, but at this time I am thinking that I won't be able to use them again any longer, as some other pairs... it has happen before. Is it normal for women who run??
I put ice and took ibuprofen as advised, thanks dgc. And decided that I was going to wait 'till the morning to decide if I was going or not to my long run.
This morning the ankle was fine. Everything was prepared so I went to run!!!
The day was very nice, it hasn't rain, so there was not humidity. The first six miles were at the beach. I can't resist to do it... Besides I know that this problem with the ankle started there... I just thought about enjoying and decided to go for the distance and just watch the pace, without any struggle. The pace there was between 12 and 14, guess how long it was... Forever to end 6 miles, besides it's been a long time since I hadn't run that long there. During the fifth mile I had technical problems with my camel pack which made me walk for some time. Garmin said I was at the beach for and hour an a half for six miles.
After that I headed the hotel.
The energy was fine, but wasn't able to speed up more than 11:30 pace. I remembered that phrase from one of my books: it is just a training the race day will be the marathon, and that idea made me continue besides the slow pace.
I felt stronger anyway. I remember that in some point around the 11th mile I was having a really bad time with my back, fortunately the restaurant was close and stopped there and got some orange juice while walking. That helped incredibly.
My mind in some points was sabotaging the run, while the body was going on over and over feeling very very good, like a machine with a bad driver. I distracted my mind thinking in some other things and sudenly I was feeling great again, thinking for example that the run was just beginning. I started over several times.
I sweat like crazy. I was like a hose at the end even my cap was dripping.
During the run I manage to be smiling because of the great sensation I was living.
Garmin wasn't working properly this morning. Definitely. When I was going down a small heel she said 14 pace... no way.
Anyway, it says I was 1.30 at the beach, ran 6 miles and then I was 1:38 at the hotel and made 8.25 miles. A total of 14.25 miles, what a day!!!!

11 Comments:

Blogger Wobbly man said...

Thats weird, I thought the pace on my Garmin was playing up this morning too. I noticed a few times the pace was no where near what I was running!

Great run Hilda! Must be nice having a restaurant you can drop into for a quick pick me.

9:18 PM  
Blogger D said...

Nice job Hilda! That is a lot of running! Glad to hear the ankle is no longer hurting and the ice and ibuprofen helped. Again, great job on the run! (Your photos as usual are beautiful!)

10:57 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Well done Hilda. I'm so glad that your ankle isn't causing you problems.

As for your question about shoes with heels, yes I have problems too. I've started wearing flat shoes (ie without heels) most of the time when I'm at work. High heels were causing/contributing to my shin splint problems by shortening my calves. Now I just save my high heels for parties!

5:03 AM  
Blogger Thomas said...

Great run Hilda. Don't worry too much about the pace, that will come eventually. It's much more important to run long than to run fast.

5:29 AM  
Blogger Rae said...

Awesome!! Pace will come with the training, each long run I do my pace seems to make some major improvements! (Beautiful pic, too! I am so jealous!!)

I have the same problem with heels now that my miles per week is pretty high. I've had to put all my strappy heels and chunky shoes away for a bit! A lot of times I take my shoes off while I'm at work, too. I have to respect my feet!

9:26 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

That's some good running. When I do my long runs, I never worry about my pace. As long as my HR is low, it is all good :)

2:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice job on the long run Hilda. I agree with Thomas. The time on your feet is more important than the pace you are running. That is a beautiful picture as well. I have not seen the sun for so long I forgot what it looks like.

3:39 PM  
Blogger brent d. said...

That's a beautiful picture! Good job on the run. I think I would slow my pace down on the beach just because it's so relaxing.

11:38 PM  
Blogger Lulu said...

Muy impresionante! Eso es un gran carrera. Espero que tu tobillo este curado.

Su playa es muy bonita!

1:40 AM  
Blogger 2P said...

Congratulations on completing your longest run Hilda - doesn't it feel great to know you can go that far?

5:19 AM  
Blogger miners said...

Hey - who's this amazing distance runner? What a great effort Hilda! Congratulations :)

10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home